SEEDS OF FAITH’S JOURNEY WITH BIBILCIAL FICTION:
This an excerpt from New York Times Bestselling author Angela Hunt. I thought it was a great piece to share with you on Seeds of Faith path of using Biblical fiction.
To read the entire piece, please go to Angela’s website at www.angelahuntbooks.com.
“What a trustworthy biblical novelist does is take the scripture and bring it to realistic life with layers of color and texture and sensory details. We research the historical time period and read dozens of works written in that time period whenever possible, so we can get a feel for how people actually wrote, lived, and spoke.
Why not forget fiction and read only the Bible? Because the human spirit resonates to STORY. When I was a little girl, before they had invented children’s church, I had to go into the adult service with my parents. As a four-, five-, and six-year-old, I tended to fidget and often put my head in my mother’s lap to sleep. But whenever the preacher said, “Reminds me of the time when . . . ” I sat up, all ears and wide awake. Why? Because those words signaled the beginning of a STORY, and I loved story. Nearly everyone does. So why read fiction based on biblical events?
- Because a trustworthy author will not violate Scripture.
- Because the fictional elements should be logical and based on historical facts.
- Because human nature is consistent over time. We often think our problems are unique, and we’re relieved to discover that we aren’t alone. Others have been in similar situations.
- Because historical fiction helps us better understand the culture and history of familiar story events.
- Because we learn from the lives of other people.
- Because God Himself recorded stories, and Jesus taught with them since humans are hard-wired to appreciate story. Who would know that better than the God who created us?
God gave us Scripture, and the doctrine of biblical sufficiency states that the Bible gives us all we need to know about God. But it does not give us all we want to know, and our quest for knowledge is a God-given gift. We yearn to know more, and well-written biblical, historical, and contemporary fiction can meet that need.
So don’t hesitate to open your heart and mind to a well-written biblical novel. You may be surprised to learn a truth you had never before considered.
Encouraging women’s faith journeys
Seeds of Faith’s mission is to bring together communities of women to share, educate and encourage individual faith journeys. Seeds of Faith is non denominational. Using award winning authors and speakers the focus is on how stories of women in the Bible can affect and inspire us today. Creating a safe and caring atmosphere where women can discuss their thoughts and questions builds trust that allow women to share their own personal stories. Seeds of faith enhances women’s knowledge to examine and explore their faith commitment.
Monthly Bible Verse
Join me in memorizing a verse/s each month and let me know your favorites.
Psalm 14:19 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight oh Lord my rock and my redeemer.
I need to remind myself daily to think and act on this verse. Sometimes that's not easy in reading the daily headlines, or a disagreement with a family member or friend....it is in these times we need to look at examples of ways about expressing ourselves so that we can be our true selves but also mindful that we are all Children of God. May we have peace in our hearts and souls.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if is it excellent or worthy of praise, think about these things.
I find great comfort in knowing this verse...as I think this verse is not only asking us to think about these things but most importantly to act on them, to embody them. How can I make a difference in this world that seems to be at odds and experiencing many natural disasters..if I think about how to be noble does this help me to order my day in what I will work on and accomplish. May our Lord talk to us through these thoughts and then our actions. Amen.
Isaiah 31: 40 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
This verse was read at my mother's funeral. It gave me solace in knowing my mom lived by these words... she was such a mentor to me in life... she taught me how to get up from defeat, from the things that knocked you down, but not just how to get up but to embrace life and live it with gratitude in walking with faith. God bless your days, your challenges and your ability to get up and thrive with our Lord beside us.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you, I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
When I read the headlines it is so stressful and so alarming. We are living in unprecedented times. Where do we go for our compass? Where do we go for our strength and direction? This verse speaks to me and I hope it will for you. God give us wisdom to know what to do and strength to accomplish our journeys.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, “declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
I love this verse… and seems appropriate to launch this new website. When you think of the word prosper it means to thrive, flourish, bloom, get on well. So, whether we are experiencing being on the mountaintop or in a valley, we know that we have a future that is waiting for us for good.
C. E. F. Chief Enthusiastic Founder
When I left the corporate world after more than 30 years, I wanted to pursue a life-long ambition of using my talents to support, mentor, facilitate women’s growth through my Christian faith. I asked God, “What’s next?”
On a long journey celebrating retirement, I discovered historical fiction about women in the Bible. Returning home inspired, I distributed 15 copies of one novel and asked if the recipients would join me to review. I prepared questions and facilitated a discussion group that had multi-generations of women. As commitment to learning and sharing grew our collective faith, the answer to my question “what’s next” became apparent: Seeds of Faith, an organization committed to helping women grow in their faith journeys.
My decades in corporate leadership roles required research, project planning, and people skills I now turn to fulfilling this vision of supporting women in their spiritual growth journeys. I ask that you join me in celebrating life and living it abundantly by learning the stories from the Bible and sharing your thoughts and ideas about how they can instruct us today.
- Creating, Supporting and Inspiring Seeds of Faith Groups that meet regularly throughout the calendar year.
- Launching the Annual Seeds of Faith Conference May 5, 2017 at Sea Cliff Methodist Church, Sea Cliff New York
30+ years of working in Corporate America in Senior Leadership Roles:
- Member of the top 500 in 420,000 employees
- SVP of Innovations2Solutions & Creative Services: Led 100+ team in various departments.
Member of Network of Biblical Story Tellers since 1997:
The Network of Biblical Storytellers, Int'l. is an international, ecumenical organization whose mission is to encourage everyone to learn and tell biblical stories.
- By memorizing the biblical story, then staging and telling it, transforms the written word bringing it to life.
- “I have heard the story of Christ’s birth many times, but today, I heard it for the first time.”
Christian Seminar Leader
- Led Women’s Day apart retreats: 2016, 2015, 2012
- Led Lenten series workshop 2017
Certified UMC Lay servant since 1999
- Provided leadership, care-giving ministry and witness
- Led meetings for prayer, training study, and discussion in Spirit Builders
- Confirmation and Sunday School: 2009 to 2015
Certified UMC Lay speaker since 2000: Sea Cliff Methodist Church, Lake Ronkonkoma Methodist Church, and Port Washington Methodist Church
- Conducted services of worship and presented sermons.
- Used Biblical Storytelling as effective means of communication.
Kiwanis: Vice President 2015-2017
- Co-Chair of Klothes for Kids 2015-2017: Back to school program for under privileged children.
- Chair for Annual Kiwanis MiniMart 2017 to present: Special Events Coordinator for Street event with 200+ vendors, largest fundraiser for North Shore Kiwanis